Charitable Giving & Fundraising Loading...
In 2017, Kmart shoppers rallied together to support the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Thanks & Giving® campaign. In addition to its in-store register campaign, Kmart launched #UglySweaterforBetter – a social media campaign that asked people to show off their favorite ugly sweaters in selfies, photos and videos while challenging others to do the same – to benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital®. Kmart donated $1 to St. Jude for every qualifying Facebook, Instagram or Twitter post.
Backing this first-of-its-kind campaign built upon the sharing of ugly sweaters, was an array of Kmart and St. Jude celebrity supporters and donors, including Adam Levine, Jaclyn Smith, Lucy Hale, Reggie Bush, Raven-Symoné, Camilla Belle, Olivia Holt, Bryan Greenberg and many more. They challenged other celebrities, family members, friends and fans to give back this holiday season.
This new way to draw attention, heighten awareness and raise funds in the fight against childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases, engaged shoppers in a new ways and contributed to an extraordinary $7.1 million in donations. Since 2006, Kmart has been a dedicated partner in the life-saving work of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. We are incredibly proud that, with the help of our members, customers and associates, our partnership has raised more than $112 million for St. Jude.
Kmart is proud to be the all-time No. 1 corporate supporter of the March of Dimes Foundation and its most important fundraiser, March for Babies®. In 2017, Kmart raised more than $4 million and since 1984, Kmart’s annual fundraising campaigns have raised more than $136 million.
During the devastating hurricane season in Puerto Rico, our local stores remained March of Dimes No. 1 sponsor in 2017 helping them reach more than half of their annual goal with a donation of $226,000.
Sears Holdings has long been committed to supporting the people and families who have made sacrifices to serve our nation. RecruitMilitary recognized Sears Holdings as a 2017 Most Valuable Employers for Military winner. Winners are selected annually based on those employers whose recruiting, training and retention plans best serve military service members and veterans. The prior year, Sears Holdings hired more than 2,700 veterans and more than 2,500 military spouses.
We show our gratitude to those who served in many ways, including through our work with the Sears Heroes at Home initiative and our relationship with Rebuilding Together and Operation Homefront. Additionally, Sears offers 20 percent off full-price tools, lawn and garden products, fine jewelry and work boots, and an extra five percent off sale prices for active, reserve and retired military personnel.
In 2017, Sears launched its 10th annual Heroes at Home campaign with Rebuilding Together to raise funds and assist military families facing hardship by making necessary repairs, improvements or modifications to their homes. The program, which has raised more than $23 million over the past 10 years thanks to donations from Shop Your Way members, customers and associates, has funded more than 1,600 home rebuilds. In 2017, Sears raised more than $2 million to support these efforts.
Among the 2017 projects included:
- Columbus, Ohio – Repairing and upgrading a home run by a nurse and dedicated to five veterans.
- Chicago – Ensuring that a widow of a WWII U.S. Navy veteran lives safely in her home for years to come.
- Detroit – Making critical repairs for a veteran who served in the Army in Fort Knox in the 1960s.
- Pittsburgh – Providing repairs for the widow of a WWII veteran who served in the Army Air Corps near the end of the war. Repairs to her home focused on health and safety improvements that will allow her to age in place while managing several medical challenges.
President and CEO of Rebuilding Together
In 2017, Sears and Operation Homefront teamed up on an exciting new partnership to build strong, stable, and secure military families. From October 8 to November 18, Sears launched a customer-driven fundraising campaign “Heroes at Home” in-store and online, with 100 percent of proceeds benefitting Operation Homefront. Operation Homefront was prominently featured on campaign materials and in Sears’ iconic holiday Wish Book catalog. In just six weeks, an extraordinary $658,620 was raised to support the Homes on the Homefront and Critical Financial Assistance programs.
Thanks to the generosity of Sears and its loyal shoppers, Operation Homefront was able to award two newly built, mortgage-free homes to military families during the holidays. The first, was awarded in November, on Giving Tuesday, to U.S. Army veteran Steve Surface and his family. Surface was awarded a 1,629 square foot, three bedroom, one-story, single family home in Tampa, Florida.
In addition, 248 requests for critical financial assistance from 115 families were fulfilled.
“It’s amazing – thank you Operation Homefront and Sears. We are so happy and we now have a foundation for our future. It’s hard to describe the amount of gratitude we feel ... This gift is truly meaningful and will impact our lives in such a positive way.”
U.S. Air Force Senior Airman, Kristen Lovelace
“This new home means so much to us. It will provide support and stability for my wife and daughter. It’s really hard to grasp the concept of a mortgage-free home, but this will be a part of my recovery and we will be part of a great community.”
U.S. Army Veteran, Steve Surface
Sears Holdings India (SHI), the company's information technology center, is headquartered in Pune, India and recently opened two development centers in Bengaluru and Hyderabad. Community giving and corporate social responsibility is woven into the cultural fabric at SHI and in 2017, each of our three locations participated in community service initiatives.
- Since 2012, SHI has partnered with the Lila Poonawalla Foundation, an educational trust in India that supports the empowerment of Indian girls and women through educational achievement. In 2017, SHI donated $10,000 to twelve girls pursuing an education in engineering.
- In partnership with the National Digital Literacy Mission, SHI opened a digital literacy center to provide infrastructure and resources for digital education for the local community in Wagholi village, Pune. The center includes ten computers and two trainers which have provided training to more than 1,000 students.
- Each year, SHI associates donate their materials, money and time to the Seva Sahayog Foundation which provides local school children with the materials they need for the upcoming school year. In 2017, SHI donated 230 kits which included materials such as school bags, notebooks, pens, pencils, and drawing books.
- In October, SHI held a Joy of Giving week where associates donated items such as stationery, books, carrom boards, volleyballs, footballs, drawing books and acrylic paints for distribution to local non-profits.
A Focus on Healthcare:
SHI proudly supports Sassoon Hospital, one of the largest state-run hospitals in Pune, India which provides free or minimum cost healthcare to people in need. Several of our initiatives include:
- The donation of a laser unit used in post-cataract retinal correction surgery to restore a patient's vision. In 2017, Sassoon Hospital operated on more than 400 patients, free of cost, using the donated equipment.
- The donation of two state-of-the-art machines used to perform cataract surgeries and two scanners that assist in calculating intra-ocular lens power in cataract patients. In 2017, the hospital performed cataract surgeries on 2,500 patients.
- Each year, SHI partners with local hospitals to host blood donation drives in the community and in 2017, we donated 138 units of blood.